I will be posting a monthly guide for what is in season based on information provided by Louisiana Grown, a project of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) that seeks to promote LA farmers through statewide branding.
The following crops are harvested throughout September:
Apples, butterbeans, butternut squash, cantaloupes, collards, cucumber, eggplant, figs, grapes, mustard greens, nectarines, okra, pears, pumpkins, satsumas, peas, sweet potatoes, yellow squash, zucchini squash, and watermelons.
Where to find some of these gems (and much more):
- Crescent City Farmer’s Market
- Louisiana Grown Farmer’s Market
- Hollygrove Market & Farm
- Good Eggs NOLA
What to do with some of these gems:
- change up your breakfast game with butternut squash oatmeal (an original recipe).
- become a (temporary) convert to all things raw with a beautiful raw fig cheesecake from Oh, Ladycakes.
- simply roast an eggplant following the sage advice from The Kitchn.
- puree your watermelon, add some salt, cachaca ouro, and tarragon to recreate the amazing “Sucker Punch” cocktail I had last night at Booty’s Street Food.
- dust off your crockpot and make a big batch of purple hull peas from Our Everyday Dinners.
- rinse and eat all the apples, nectarines, grapes, and satsumas you can get your hands on.